13.2.17

Quick Projects Update

Project 1: 90-Degree, Montréal 10-Minute Frequency Map



This is the updated, simplified version of previous iterations, where I used a more geographically accurate but less intuitive set of angles and directions. It includes the same routes. Some notes:
  • The 747-Airport is not included because of fare issues;
  • Yes, it is lacking a legend;
  • Yes, that is a blood stain just below Parc/Laurier: Montréal winters make moisturizer a lot more necessary than I would like to admit. Wite-out necessary;
  • I tried to standardize all of the placement of bus-terminus indicators, the only one bucking the bottom-left placement trend is the 67 at Joliette station;
  • I owe Café Plume and Anton Dubrau for (very rough) inspiration for the design;
  • I owe the internet for a free rip-off of STM's new 'Transit' font;
  • I have yet to color and thicken the lines, and still need to color in stop blobs.

Project 2: A bit of coding


To supplement my decision to switch to a Computer Science double major, I'm writing some really basic code to parse static GTFS files, which contain scheduling and other general information for a given transit agency. They're publicly downloadable, so I'm having fun learning their ins and outs. I might post a repository on GitHub once I get past the learning curve of using it.

Specifically, I'm interested in using it to calculate very simple but useful sets of information to look at the inefficiencies of certain aspects of transit systems. An example of this would be comparing attributes such as average distance between stops for different routes. On a smaller scale, this could be used to really quickly and efficiently identify where two consecutive (or even three) stops are redundant.

That's all for the quick update on my current coursework-coping mechanism. Hopefully more to come soon!